1. We are going to up our giving we will continue tithing to the church but in addition at the beginning of each month choose an additional charity or cause to give to. For me, this is the exciting part, I am really excited to see how God will move and work in our family as we sit down each month to decide how to give.
2. We are going to stop buying things new. In order to reach our 17% we have to cut back significantly on what we buy. When we do decide to buy something we are going ask ourselves these questions and follow this order before purchasing -
1. Ask the question do I need it? If the answer is no, we will ask ourselves these questions before moving on - Why do we want and what will it add to our lives?
2. Can I make it?
3. Can I buy it used locally?
4. Finally, if I am going to buy it new, I must know where it comes from and how it was produced (ethically, environment impact). Hopefully, this will make us much more conscious and cautious consumers.
3. We are going to address one Social Justice Issue as it relates to food consumption each month - This month is coffee - this is a pretty easy one since we don't drink that much coffee, but every time we do it must be certified fair trade. Next month is chocolate (I need more time to gear up for that one (I love my chocolate!!!!) and to research as I know issues of slavery and fair wages with chocolate production are very complex). Then we will look at waste, food production issues, and eating biblically.
4. We are going to fast - This is a discipline that I love in theory but rarely do in practice, but I really want to incorporate it into my life. I feel like the bible is full of references to prayer and fasting in connection to big revelations and understandings of God. I want that. Sooooo, since we are doing an overhaul why not just add it in, right? We will take 1-4 days each month to fast from something, this month is food, then cell phones, then internet, then noise (I am not sure how this one will work, but I love the idea of SILENCE!!) and in December, Christmas music, hahah just kidding but Colin would like that or maybe just singing loudly and badly to Christmas music,
So there you go, now you know what God is doing and stirring in our lives! Please share with us what He is doing in yours?
I feel like he is moving and stirring new things in so many people these days. Today, I chatted with two friends who are feeling similar stirring in their souls. It is so encouraging that people are wanting more and challenging the status-quo! One friend passed the book 7 on to me today (read her blog post about it here, actually just read her entire blog, it's great). I haven't read it but after flipping through it, I feel like it is divine timing as well. We might be adjusting some of our goals based on her experiences!