Friday, July 27, 2012

Summer-time Snack-time

It seems like it's always snack time when Hudson is around.  So my summer time goal has been to find some healthy and delicious snacks.  This has been harder than you would think since it has been WAY too hot here and the ice cream stand is right across the street calling our names.  However, after a few days of having ice cream twice a day, I figured it really was time to get creative.  We made banana softserve ice cream a lot last year but I had sort of forgotten about it until this week.  After a few different test rounds I think I have perfected the recipe.  The secret ingredient -  a little bit of yogurt which I think helps mask the banana flavor and makes it seem more like ice cream.

Banana soft serve ice cream

4 frozen bananas
1/4 cup greek yogurt (you can omit this but it makes it much creamier and more ice cream like)
1 teaspoon vanilla
A bit of honey (I use about 1 tablespoon but adjust to your sweetness preferences)
2-3 tablespoons almond milk to reach desired consistancy
* Any adds in you like (think pb, chocolate chips, fruit, coconut flakes, etc.)

Blend first three ingredients in food processor or blender for 1-2 minutes until starting to look creamy, then add honey and milk until you reach taste and texture you like.

Our favorite so far is the one pictured above. Topped with frozen raspberries and Annies gluten free ginger snaps!  It is so good, I don't even miss the ice cream stand.

No comments: