Thursday, June 21, 2012

When life gives you lumpy weird peanut butter, make no-bake cookies (sugar and gluten free, of course!)

I have been having a lot of strike outs in the kitchen lately!  I'm not entirely sure what is going on, the kitchen is usually the one place I am consistently successful, but lately I have been burning chicken, cooking all the water out of the beans and buckwheat, forgetting ingredients, dropping a lot of things (I guess that is not that out of the ordinary) and making a lot of messes! 

My latest failure was my homemade nut butter, this was a very messy and very expensive failure (check out the recipe here, it might work for you). I have been successful in the past with nut butters and really can't figure out what happened to this batch.  The flavor was fine but the texture was weird, it was lumpy and dry and there was nothing I could do to fix it.  Believe me I tried (I spent almost an entire nap time trying!).  I had no idea what I was going to do with cups of this stuff, then I remembered no bake cookies, but after looking at the recipe I just couldn't do (two cups of sugar!!! Seriously?) So I made my own variety and I have to say they are pretty darn good and infinitely better for you! Super quick and easy and not much clean up.

Sugar-free, Gluten-free No Bake Cookies
¾ cup agave
4 heaping tbls. Cocoa powder
1.5 cups nut butter
1 tbls. Ground flax
½ Cup almond milk

2 tbls. Truvia
1 tsp. vanilla
2.5 cups oats
1 cup coconut flakes

Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil, add next four ingredients,  stir and cook about 2ms longer, drop by spoon full onto wax paper, let cool and firm up. They never get super firm and are a little stickier than the original. I store them in the fridge and they make a nice cool snack. 




No comments: