Monday, February 13, 2012

DIY picture frame window

Sooooo we still haven't made much headway on the window seat (so much for that January goal!) but we did frame in the windows and I LOVE them!  They are well worth all my hesitating and debating!  I knew I wanted something different and I had a vision of what I wanted "a picture frame window" but I had never seen quite what I wanted before and I wasn't exactly sure how it would turn out (I have a lot of visions and they don't always translate well into reality!).  Originally, I want to find and use old picture frames, however, I realized that living in a small town and in winter (i.e. no garage sales) finding enough cool old frames was going to be near impossible.  That combined with the fact that every now and then, I get in a bit of a dither and have to finish something right NOW!  Fortunately,  Homedepot has everything and I found exactly what I was looking for in the molding section, it's technically not window trim, it's a chair rail, but it worked perfectly. 

Trim - House of Fara 8 ft. Basswood Chair Rail 

Paint - Martha Steward Plumage

TOOLS -
Paint
Trim, chair rail, or whatever material you are using (*make sure you measure enough to cute the angle on the corners, if your trim is 2 in. thick you need to add 2 in. to each length for the cuts. I learned this the hard way)
Chop saw
Caulk
Finish nails
Brad nailer
Spackling - to fill the nail holes if you are looking for perfectiont
A very handy Grandpa and a super cute assistant

 Does it get any cuter than this?!

 Hudson adores his Grandpa, he is not nearly as compliant or interested when mom is working on projects. 

The finished product!

Our windows are inset into the walls,  so I painted the inside drywall trim to match the picture frame trim.


Thanks for the help, mom, dad, Colin and of course, Hudson!  Now I just need to get cracking on the window seat and we will have a finished room!


Step 1- Measure all four sides of your window. Hopefully, they are close in length, if you want all your angles to be perfect, pick the shortest length and cut all four sides to this length.
Step 2 - Use a chop saw to cut your trim at a 45 degree angle.
Step 3 - Paint your wood.
Step 4 - Use your brad nailer to nail to wall
Step 5 - Caulk the areas your trim touches the wall or where you want a smooth surface.
Step 6 - Spackle your nail holes and touch up the paint



3 comments:

Chris Greenfield said...

That looks so good Emma! I love the combo of colors. Good job!!

eabetzler said...

Thanks Nunu! Miss you.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://louboutinmart.co.uk]christian louboutin[/url] I read it, then read it again, and then once more. [url=http://dkgoose.com]Canada Goose tilbud[/url] Ovbutqshg [url=http://csrhelix.com]canada goose[/url]
lltooq 198169 [url=http://www.chilliwackbombersoutlet.com]canada goose calgary parka[/url] 050978 [url=http://www.beatsbydreaonsales.com]cheap dr dre beats[/url]