Wednesday, November 02, 2011

THE AUNTIES!!!!!!!!! And a killer gluten free recipe

Hudson is one lucky dude. Not only did he get lots of Grandparent love this month but he was also smothered in love by some of his sweet aunts! 
Meg and Hudson soaking up the sun.
Family hike up Steam Butte...
We didn't exactly make it to the top. Typical Emily style I had a few too many things planned that day and we had to turn around early :/ Sorry guys.


Linnea ♥'s Hudson 

Linnea somehow got roped into helping me put up wallpaper. I wouldn't say that wallpapering was fun, but Linnea definitely made it as enjoyable as possible.  Despite our best efforts we did not finish, I'll post pictures as soon as I do.  It might be awhile though, Colin doesn't have his sister's drive or interest in wallpaper.

Unlike the previous weekend,Linnea and I did make it to the top of Steam Butte! We went up with a group of wonderful women (can't believe I don't have group photo) to celebrate my dear friend Jessica's Birthday.  I made a gluten-free, white-sugar free, vegan carrot cake, I know sounds gross, but it was great and I got lots of recipe requests so here it is. I don't have a picture of the cake but it was good. Try it!

2 cups oat flour (I ground steal cut oats in the blender and then sifted to make the flour)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

11/2 teaspoons cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon sea salt


1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup mejol dates, take out seed chop or blend into a paste

1/4 cup maple syrup
2 ripe bananas
11/2  cups grated carrots (I used the carrot pulp from my juicer plus ½ cup pumpkin to make up for lack of juice)

1/4 cup coconut milk
2 flax eggs (2 tbls. Ground flax plus 2 tbls. Water
Preheat oven to 350F. Line  9x5x3 or 8x8 cake pan with parchment paper.
Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Stir the dates into the melted butter, breaking up the dates a bit.
   In mixing bowl combine oil, dates, and maple syrup. Mix until incorporated. 
   Whisk in bananas, carrots (and pumpkin if using) coconut milk, and flax egg.  
   Add the flour mixture and stir until everything just comes together.  
   Mixture will be thick and chunky, spoon into the prepared pan. 
   Bake for about 50(ish) minutes or until a toothpick tests clean in the center of the cake.  
   Remove from oven and let cool.
     Adapted from  101 Cookbooks 


And just for fun, a pic of Hudson's new favorite way to go on a walk. Definitely not Luna's.

1 comment:

Chris Greenfield said...

Looks like Huds had the best time with his aunties!! I can't wait to see him!!

So cute that Huddy and Luna are best buds!!